Policies For Borrowing Libraries
NOAA Central Library
1315 East-West Highway
SSMC3, 2nd Floor, R/CFO10
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3282
(301) 713-2600 x144 Voice
OCLC WorldShare: our symbol is OLA
Desk hours: 8:30a.m. - 4:30p.m. M-F. Library is closed on the weekends and Federal holidays.
Average Turnaround Time:
Four business days. Please call or email us if you need something very urgently.
We do not charge. See below, Borrowing Eligibility, for more information.
- OCLC: (Preferred Method): our OCLC symbol is OLA.
- Email: Interlibrary.Loan@noaa.gov. Please include an ALA form.
- ALA or IFLA ILL form: The form can be, emailed, mailed, or delivered in person to the Desk (with prior telephone notification).
The NOAA Library Catalog includes the holdings of many NOAA libraries. The Central Library only loans materials from its own collection.
We only lend to reciprocating non-charging libraries, including:
- Federal libraries
- LVIS libraries
- Non-charging libraries
- U.S. and international libraries that have signed a reciprocal agreement
All borrowing libraries are expected to follow the ALA Interlibrary Loan Code of the United States.
Loan Periods and Renewals:
- Books, government documents, CDs, DVDs / videos: 30-day loan period. May be renewed for 30 more days. Borrowing libraries are responsible for safe return of items.
All loaned materials may be recalled if needed by our library patrons.
We will provide items that are 50 pages or less. We do not provide copies from CDs, DVDs, or microform items, but will lend the items.
- U.S. Postal Service’s library rate
- Courier: we will ship books via Federal Express or UPS only if borrowing library provides an account number
Lost Items and Privileges:
- Borrowing privileges are suspended when the material is overdue and until the return of the item.
- Lost items or items damaged beyond repair must be replaced for borrowing privileges to resume. If a replacement cannot be found, then a comparable book (subject matter, price) will be recommended. If any loan restrictions are not followed, borrowing privileges are suspended or revoked.
The NOAA Central Library does not sell nor provide spare copies of NOAA publications.
To purchase or to obtain a permanent copy of a NOAA report: (1) contact the specific NOAA office or contracted group that published or sponsored the report,
(2) contact the author of the publication, or (3) order from National Technical Information Service (NTIS) at 1-800-553-6847.
Please email us at Interlibrary.Loan@noaa.gov for information about NOAA publications.