AQUACULTURE INFORMATION CENTER - DOC/NOAA
Management and Aquaculture
This page was compiled
to provide assistance to policy staff and others involved in the
development of aquaculture activities in the coastal United States.
Text below includes a bibliography of related references and links to
related Internet sites.
The cited publications are international in scope. Some of these
publications may not be available in English. The scope of the list
includes habitat suitability modeling, use of new technologies such as
GIS for selection and planning, and guidelines and methodologies for
coastal zone and ecosystem management when integrating aquaculture.
Please contact the Center
to recommend additions to the lists. To obtain publications as loan or
as photocopy, please contact your local public, institutional or
affiliate library and request through the interlibrary loan process.
The publications and Internet links which follow represent a selection
of the resources available to planners and no attempt was made to
include all resources. Many of the links provide information on overall
Coastal Zone Management but do not include aquaculture issues.
with link indicates your are leaving federal sites.
Bibliography of Selected Published Resources on Coastal Zone
- Getchis, T.S. et al. "Aquaculture policy in Connecticut -
constructing a permitting roadmap for stakeholders." Journal of Shellfish Research. Vol.
22, no. 1, 2003: 293-294.
- Congleton, W.R. et al. "Mariculture siting - tidal
currents and growth of Mya arenaria."
Journal of Shellfish Research.
Vol.22, no.1, 2003, pp. 75-83.
- Holland, Daniel S. "Spatial fishery rights and marine
discussion with reference to management of marine resources in New
England." Marine Resource
Economics Vol. 19, no. 1, 2004 [np].
- Micallef. A. "Towards integrated coastal zone management,
with a special emphasis on the Mediterranean Sea:
Introduction." Journal of
Coastal Conservation. Vol.9, no. 1, 2003, pp. 2-4.
- Diduck, A. P. "Learning through public involvement in
environmental assessment: A transformative perspective." Dissertation
Abstracts International Part A: Humanities and Social Sciences.
Vol. 62, no. 12. 2002: p. 4281.
- Grist, B. "The Regulatory System for Aquaculture in the Republic
of Ireland."Pest Management Science Vol. 58, no. 6 (2002): June
- Haberl, J. Salmon aquaculture in British Columbia: A history and
comparative analysis. Masters Abstracts International. Vol 40,
no. 2. 2002: p. 382
- Hein, L. "Toward Improved Environmental and Social Management of
Indian Shrimp Farming." Environmental Management Vol. 29, no.
3 (2002): 349-59.
- Nazareth, A.P. and K.V. Radhakrishnan. "Integrated Coastal
Management of Dakshina Kannada and Udupi - a Case Study." Indian
Journal of Environmental Health Vol. 44, no. 1 (2002): 24-36.
- Neyrey, EW and KM Fletcher. "Marine Aquaculture Zoning: Review of
the Key Questions to Be Answered."World Aquaculture." Vol 33,
no. 1 (2002): 9-12.
- Black, E. "Aquaculture and integrated resource use." Bulletin
of the Aquaculture Association of Canada. St. Andrews NB. 101-1:
2001: pp. 29-35.
- Haws, M. C. "Application of participatory methodology for
development of guidelines for mariculture development and permitting in
Tanzania by the Tanzania Coastal Management Partnership." Aquaculture
2001: Book of Abstracts. 750 pp. 2001.
- Marshall, J. "Landlords, leaseholders & sweat equity:
changing property regimes in aquaculture." Marine Policy Vol
2525, no. 5: 2001: pp. 335-352.
- McVey, J.P. "The importance of integrating algal systems into a
balanced management approach to aquaculture." Journal of Phycology.
Vol 37, s3: 2001: pp. 34-34.
- Neyrey, E. W. and Fletcher, K. "Marine aquaculture zoning: A tool
to overcome obstacles to offshore aquaculture." Aquaculture 2001:
Book of Abstracts. 2001: p. 474.
- Paez-Osuna, F. "The Environmental Impact of Shrimp Aquaculture:
Causes, Effects, and Mitigating Alternatives." Environmental
Management,Vol. 28, no. 1 (July 2001): 131-40.
- Rosenthal, H., McGlade, J., and Gollasch, S.R. "The role of
aquaculture in integrated coastal zone management." Bulletin of the
Aquaculture Association of Canada. St. Andrews NB. 101-1: 2001: pp.
- Sakthivel, M. "Need for legal framework for sustainable
aquaculture." Sustainable Indian Fisheries. 2001: pp. 225-231.
- Scott, P. C. "GIS-based environmental modelling for management of
coastal aquaculture and natural resources: a case study in Baia de
Sepetiba, Brazil." NATO Science Series: Series A: Life Sciences.
Modern Aquaculture in the Coastal Zone-Lessons and Opportunities
Vol 314, 2001: pp. 261-274
- Stewart, J.E. "A case for a comprehensive environmental data base
as a tool for integrated coastal zone planning and management."
Bulletin of the Aquaculture Association of Canada. St. Andrews NB.
101-1: 2001: pp. 43-48
Local Aquaculture Management Systems [C.L.A.M.S.] Incorporating the concepts of a
Single Bay Management Plan and an aquaculture development plan for the
bay/region. Irish Sea Fisheries Board (Link to further information
through publications section.)
- Ackefors, H. "Review of Swedish Regulation and Monitoring of
Aquaculture." Journal of Applied Ichthyology-Zeitschrift Fur
Angewandte Ichthyologie, Vol. 16, no. 4-5 (August 2000): 214-23.
- Henderson, A. R. and I. M. Davies. "Review of Aquaculture, Its
Regulation and Monitoring in Scotland." Journal of Applied
Ichthyology-Zeitschrift Fur Angewandte Ichthyologie, Vol. 16, no.
4-5 (August 2000): 200-208.
- Hugues-Dit-Ciles, E. K. "Developing a Sustainable Community-Based
Aquaculture Plan for the Lagoon of Cuyutlan Through a Public Awareness
and Involvement Process." Coastal Management, Vol. 28, no. 4
(October 2000-December 2000): 365-83.
- Maroni, K. "Monitoring and Regulation of Marine Aquaculture in
Norway." Journal of Applied Ichthyology-Zeitschrift Fur Angewandte
Ichthyologie, Vol. 16, no. 4-5 (August 2000): 192-95.
- Stanley, D. L. "The Economics of the Adoption of BMPs: The Case
of Mariculture Water Management." Ecological Economics, Vol.
35, no. 2 (November 2000): 145-55.
- Varjopuro, R. and others. "Regulation and Monitoring of Marine
Aquaculture in Finland." Journal of Applied Ichthyology-Zeitschrift
Fur Angewandte Ichthyologie, Vol.16, no. 4-5 (August 2000): 148-56.
- Alvial, A. and D. Recule. "Fundacion Chile and the
Integrated Management of the Coastal Zone." Ocean & Coastal
Management, Vol. 42, no. 2-4 (1999): 143-54.
- Bernal, P. A. and others. "New Regulations in Chilean Fisheries
and Aquaculture: ITQ's and Territorial Users Rights." Ocean &
Coastal Management, Vol. 42, no. 2-4 (1999): 119-42.
- Congleton, W. R. and others. "Mariculture Siting: A GIS
Description of Intertidal Areas." Ecological Modelling, Vol.
116, no. 1 (March 1999): 63-75.
- Devaraj, M. and E. Vivekanandan. "Marine Capture Fisheries of
India: Challenges and Opportunities." Current Science, Vol. 76,
no. 3 (February 1999): 314-32.
- Heyman, W. D. and B. Kjerfve. "Hydrological and Oceanographic
Considerations for Integrated Coastalzone Management in Southern
Belize." Environmental Management, Vol. 24, no. 2 (August
- Morikawa, T. "Japan's Efforts to Promote New Concepts
for 200 Mile Exclusive Economic Zone and the Role of Marino-Forum 21." Journal
of Shellfish Research, Vol. 17, no. 4 (December 1998): [np].
- Rubec, P. J. and others. "GIS and Modeling: Coupling Habitats to
Florida Fisheries." Journal of Shellfish Research, Vol. 17, no.
5 (December 1998): 1451-57.
- Barr, W. J. "Mariculture in Offshore Critical Habitat
Areas: A Case Study of Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary." Ocean
and Coastal Law Journal, Vol. 2, no. 2 (1997): 261-67.
- Ervik, A. and others. "Regulating the Local Environmental Impact
of Intensive Marine Fish Farming - I. The Concept of the Mom System
(Modelling Ongrowing Fish Farms Monitoring)." Aquaculture, Vol.
158, no. 1-2 (December 1997): 85-94.
- Findlay, R. H. and L. Watling. "Prediction of Benthic Impact for
Salmon Net-Pens Based on the Balance of Benthic Oxygen Supply and
Demand." Marine Ecology-Progress Series, Vol. 155, (1997):
- Hoagland, P and Di Jin. "Governance of Access to Public Natural
Resources: A Comparison of Federal Systems." Journal of Shellfish
Research, Vol. 16, no. 1 (June 1997): 288.
- Lennard, D. "Australia Is Big: But Its Seas and Oceans Are
Bigger." Sea Technology, Vol. 38, no. 4 (April 1997): 20-24.
- Makoloweka, S. and K. Shurcliff. "Coastal Management in Tanga,
Tanzania: A Decentralized Community-Based Approach." Ocean &
Coastal Management, Vol. 37, no. 3 (1997): 349-57.
- Goudey, C. A. "Aquaculture in the US EEZ: Industry in
Need of Help." Marine Technology Society Journal, Vol. 30, no.
3 (1996): 21-26.
- Stel, J. H. and B. F. Mannix. "A Benefit-Cost Analysis of a
Regional Global Ocean Observing System; Seawatch Europe." Marine
Policy, Vol. 20, no. 5 (September 1996): 357-76.
- Thungerg, E. M. "Update on Federal Policy Affecting Marine
Aquaculture in the Exclusive Economic Zone in the United States." Journal
of Shellfish Research, Vol. 15, no. 2 (1996): 462.
- Ward, C. "Managing the EEZ---a Blueprint for
Australia's Oceans." Search (Sydney), Vol. 26, no. 8 (1995):
Proceedings (Short Papers)
- Nayak, Shailesh. "Role of Remote Sensing to Integrated
Coastal Zone Management." Commission VII, Th S 18.
2004. 7pp. http://www.isprs.org/istanbul2004/comm7/papers/235.pdf
- Gillibrand, P. A. and Cromey, C. J. "Management of aquaculture in
Scottish fjords. Aquaculture, environment and marine phytoplankton."
Proceedings of a symposium held in Brest. 2002: pp. 217-229.
- Tong Phuoc Hoang Son. "Remote Sensing and Land Use Mapping."
Shrimp Farming Sustainability in the Mekong Delta Environmental and
Technical Approaches: Proceedings of the Workshop Held in Travinh
(Vietnam), pp. 20-21. 2002.
Reports and Dissertations
- Fletcher, K. M. and G. Weston. "Federal and State Regulatory
Permitting of Offshore Aquaculture." Aquaculture 2001, Orlando, FL
(USA), Jan 2001. 2001.
- Haws, M. C. "Application of Participatory Methodology for
Development of Guidelines for Mariculture Development and Permitting in
Tanzania by the Tanzania Coastal Management Partnership."
Aquaculture 2001, Orlando, FL (USA), Jan 2001. 2001.
- McVey, JP. "Maximizing Value To Coastal Communities Through
Fisheries And Aquaculture." Marine Aquaculture and the Environment: A
Meeting for Stakeholders in the northeast. 2001: pp. 244-248.
- Mieremet, B. "Aquaculture and the Last Frontier - Draft
Legislation for Long Term Leasing in the EEZ." Aquaculture 2001,
Orlando, FL (USA), Jan 2001. 2001.
- Myre, P., D. Carle, and S. SnowCotter. "Aquaculture Siting in
Massachusetts (Moris Phase 1): A Browsable, Integrated Metadata
Database, Query, and Mapping GIS Extension." Coastal Geotools 2001,
Charleston, SC (USA), Jan 2001. 2001.
- Neyrey, E. W. and K. Fletcher. "Marine Aquaculture Zoning: A Tool
to Overcome Obstacles to Offshore Aquaculture." Aquaculture 2001,
Orlando, FL (USA), Jan 2001. 2001.
- Rhodes, E. "Developing a Code of Conduct for Responsible
Aquaculture in the EEZ - A NOAA Initiative to Support Offshore
Aquaculture Development in the U.S." Aquaculture 2001, Orlando, FL
(USA), Jan 2001. 2001.
- Smith, R. "Aquaculture Facility Permits - The State/Federal
Permitting Process, Public Participation and Multi-Agency Reviews."
Aquaculture 2001, Orlando, FL (USA), Jan 2001. 2001.
- Zengel, S. "Environmental Sensitivity Index (ESI) Mapping and GIS
Products: Tools for Coastal Zone Management." Coastal GeoTools '01.
Proceedings of the 2nd Biennial coastal GeoTools Conference. 2001.
- Bridger, C. J. and Costa-Pierce, B. A. "Sustainable
Development of Offshore Aquaculture in the Gulf of Mexico." Proceedings
of the Fifty-Third Annual Gulf and Caribbean Fisheries Institute.
- Gudimov, A. Vv, E. N. Gudimova, and V. N. Galkina. "Alternative
Approach to Coastal Zone Management: Wastewater-Fed Aquaculture,
Protective Zones, Recycling of Nutrients and Bioremediation."
Coastal Zone Canada Association 4th International Conference, St. John,
New Brunswick (Canada), Sep 2000. 2000.
- Priyan, R. D. and M. S. Rao. "Role of an NGO and the Process of
Implementation of Coastal Zone Management and Aquaculture Authorities
in India." Coastal Zone Canada Association 4th International
Conference, St. John, New Brunswick (Canada), Sep 2000. 2000.
- Corbin, J. S. and L. G. L. Young. "Ocean Leasing in
Hawaii: Origins, Status and Future Prospects." Charting the Future
of Ocean Farming. University of Hawaii Sea Grant College Program,
- Brennan, W. J. "To Be or Not to Be Involved: Management
Options for the New England Fishery Management Council." Open Ocean
Aquaculture. Proceedings of an International Conference, 1996.
- Goudey, C. A. and R. J. Smolowitz. "Open-Ocean Culture of Sea
Scallops Off New England." Open Ocean Aquaculture. Proceedings of an
International Conference, 1996 . 179-192.
- Hopkins, D. D., R. J. Goldburg, and A. Marston. "An Environmental
Critique of Government Regulations and Policies for Open Ocean
Aquaculture." Open Ocean Aquaculture Conference, Portland, ME (USA),
May 1996, 1997, 235-60 .
- Reiser, A. "Defining the Federal Role in Offshore Aquaculture;
Should It Feature Delegation to the States?" Open Ocean Aquaculture.
Proceedings of an International Conference, 1996, 19-40 .
- Mekala, V. P. R. "Coastal Aquaculture Site Selection
Using Remote Sensing and GIS Under Coastal Zone Management." 3rd
Thematic Conference on Remote Sensing for Marine and Coastal
Environments, Seattle, WA (USA), Sep 1995. ERIM Conferences, PO Box
134001, Ann Arbor, MI 481134001. Poster Paper, 1995.
Prior to 1995:
- Phyne, J. G. "Legal Context of Industrial Aquaculture:
Property Rights, User Conflicts and Dispute Resolution in Three
Jurisdictions." Coastal Zone Canada '94: Cooperation in the Coastal
Zone, Halifax (Canada), Sep 1994. Ocean Studies, Office of Research
Services, A&A, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada,
- Priyan, RD and HD Smith. "Mapping and Zoning for Mariculture
Development: A Case Study of Loch Alsh." Bordeaux Aquaculture 1994,
Bordeaux (France), Mar 1994. European Aquaculture Society, Copure
Rechts 168, B9000 Gent, Belgium, 1994.
- Chua, T. and I. Jamespaw. "Aquaculture Development and Coastal
Zone Management in Southeast Asia - Conflicts and Complementarity."
Conference: Fifth Symposium on Coastal and Ocean Management Coastal
Zone '87, Seattle, WA (USA). American Society of Civil Engineers,
345 East 47th Street, New York, NY 10017, 1987.
- Avan, Houtte. Report
to the Government of the Maldives on Revision of the Legal Framework
for Fishereis and Development and Managment. FAO Rome ,
Italy. 33 pp. Mar 2004.
- Gascuel, D. (ed) and Fontenelle, G.(ed) Fisheries Activities and Coastal
Zone Management. no. 35, 234 pp. 2003. ISBN
- Sonvisen, Signe Annie. Integrated Coastal Zone Management
(ICZM): The Allocation of Space in Norwegian Aquaculture - from
Local Lottery to Central Planning. Norwegian College of
Fishery Science, University of Tromso, Sweden. May 2003.
- Workshop on Shrimp Aquaculture and Coastal Systems Resource
Management. Laboratorio Bioma, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Brazil
SELECTED INTERNET RESOURCES:
- Diduck, AP Learning Through Public Involvement in
Environmental Assessment: A Transformative Perspective.
Dissertation Abstracts International Part A: Humanities and Social
Sciences Vol. 62, no. 12 (2002): 4281.
- Haberl, J. Salmon Aquaculture in British Columbia: A History
and Comparative Analysis. Masters Abstracts International. Vol. 40,
no. 2, Apr 2002 : 382.
- Brunell, G. P. Goulletquer, J. Mees, J. Seys and S.
Stead. Aquaculture and its role in ICZM. Handbook of
contributions and extended abstracts presented at the International
Workshop. 62 pp. 2001. EAS Publication PUB-160
- Coimbra, J. Modern Aquaculture in the Coastal Zone. Lessons
and Opportunities. 302 pp. 2001. IOS Press Nieuwe Hemweg 6B, 1013
BG Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Vernberg, F. John and Winona B. Vernberg. The Coastal Zone
Past, Present, and Future. 191 pp. 2001. Columbia University of
South Carolina Press.
- Barnab, E. and G. Gilbert. Ecology and management
of coastal waters the aquatic environment. 396 pp. 2000. London;
New York Springer.
- Coastal Zone Canada '98. Victoria, B. C. Compiled and edited by
John D. Pringle Cynthia A. Wright and Michael W. Dunn. Coastal Zone
Canada '98; coastal challenges, sharing our experience, building our
knowledge. 212 pp. 2000. Victoria, B.C. Coastal Zone Canada,
British Columbia Association.
- Kamphuis, J. William. Introduction to coastal engineering and
management. 437 pp. 200 Singapore; River Edge, N.J. World
Scientific, c2000. Advanced series on ocean engineering; v. 16.
- O'Connell, James Francis. Coastal landform system
sustainability project an analysis of activities permitted on coastal
landforms on Cape Cod, Massachusetts in 1999. (Analysis of
activities permitted on coastal landforms on Cape Cod, Massachusetts in
1999.). 58 pp. 2000. Woods Hole, Mass. Woods Hole Oceanographic
Institution. Technical report.
- Christie, Donna, R. Richard and G. Hildreth. Coastal
and ocean management law in a nutshell. 397 pp. 1999. St. Paul,
Minn. West Group.
- CicinSain, Biliana, Robert W. Knecht and Nancy Foster. Trends
and future challenges for U.S. national ocean and coastal policy
proceedings. Proceedings of a workshop, January 22, 1999,
Washington, D.C. 142 pp. 1999. Silver Spring, MD NOAA, National Ocean
- Kay, Robert and Jackie Alder. Coastal planning and management.
375 pp. 1999. London ; New York E & FN Spon.
- Vallega, Adalberto. Fundamentals of integrated coastal
management. 264 pp. 1999. Dordrecht, Netherlands ; Boston, MA.
Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- CicinSain, Biliana, Robert W. Knecht, Dosoo Jang and
Gregory W. Fisk. Integrated coastal and ocean management concepts
and practices. 517 pp. 1998. Washington, D.C. Island Press.
- FAO. Coastal challenges a guide to coastal and marine issues.
178 pp. 1998. Washington, DC. 1025 Connecticut Ave., NW, Suite 1200,
Washington 20036.. Environmental Health Center.
- Frankic, Anamarija. A Framework for Planning Sustainable
Development in Coastal Regions: An Island Pilot Project in Croatia,
124 pp. 1998. Dissertation. College of William and Mary.
- NA. Integrated coastal area management and agriculture,
forestry and fisheries. 256 pp. Rome Food and Agriculture
Organization of the United Nations, 1998. FAO guidelines. Nadia
Scialabba, series Editor.
- Wirth, Ferdinand Francis, III. Development and Assessment of
Property Rights-Based Measure of State Regulatory Climate. 297
pp. 1998. Dissertation. Louisiana State University and Agricultural
- United Nations. Economic and Social Commission for Asia and
the Pacific. Emerging policy initiatives and activities in coastal
zone management and nonliving resources assessment in Asia and the
Pacific / Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific. 143
pp. 1998. New York, United Nations. Development and management of
nonliving resources in the coastal zones of the AsiaPacific region
; vol. 3.
- Rijsberman, Frank R. Integrated coastal zone
management review of progress in selected OECD countries. 52 pp.
1997. Paris OECD. OECD working papers, 10222227.
- Striking a Balance. Improving Stewardship of Marine Areas.
192 pp. National Research Councel: National Academy Press, Marine
Board, Committee on Marine Area Governance and Management. Washington,
Coastal Zone Management
Program - Federal State Partnership Program
and its Importance to Integrated Coastal Zone Development--Special
Wetlands Information System -- Summary of the Coastal Zone Management
Zone Management Program - Pennsylvania
Management--Restoration and Maintenance - U.S. Geological Survey
Coastal Zone Management
Reauthorization: An Overview - Congressional Research Service Report -
Management's Home Page - Massachusetts
Coastal Zone Management -
GIS on the
Net'. GIS for Coastal Zone Management Home Page
Hawaii Coastal Zone
Maryland's Coastal Zone
Land & Water Management Coastal Zone Management Program - Michigan
Offices: Coastal Zone Management
Program: Goals and Objectives
Hole Oceanographic Institution Marine Policy Center
US Virgin Islands - Coastal Zone
Management Program - Department of Planning and Natural Resources
- India: Coastal Zone Management
Zone Management - South Africa
- Coastal Zone
Management Authority and Institute - Belize
- Center For Marine and
Coastal Zone Management - Home Page - United Kingdom
Discussion Documents - Europe
Coastal Zone Management - European Commission
- Island Resources
Foundation: Caribbean Coastal Zone Management Bibliography
- ITC, Div
AGS - Projects - An Integrated Coastal Zone Management Study, Indonesia
- NetCoast - Integrated Coastal
Zone Management - Maintained by the Dutch Coastal Zone Management Centre
of the Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM) Project - Malyasia
Theory of Integrated Coastal Zone Management in Japan
- United Nations
Environment Program -Caribbean Environment Programme - Coastal Zone
Back to Aquaculture Information Center Homepage
Disclaimer | Privacy Notice | Back to NOAA Library Home Page | email@example.com